Thursday, January 7, 2016

Yerington Monday: Dr. Mary Fulstone

Yerington Monday: Dr. Mary Fulstone

Many of us have very fond memories of Dr. Mary. Please feel free to share on this post.

Dr. Mary Hill Fulstone (August 3, 1892 - December, 1987) was an American physician. When she retired from practicing medicine at the age of 91, she was the longest-practicing physician in the state of Nevada. She was born in Eureka, and graduated from University of California, Berkeley (undergraduate and medical school). Known as "Dr. Mary", Fulstone was honored as Nevada's Mother of the Year (1950), Nevada's Doctor of the Year (1961), and Distinguished Nevadan (University of Nevada, 1964).

Doctor Mary had a government contract to care for the Indians. She was paid $90 per month to minister to the Indians in a wide-ranging area that took her out of the valley to Topaz, Coleville, Bridgeport, and Sweetwater. One major function was delivering their babies, but she also performed many other duties. Mary recalled one house call she made to a tepee near Bodie. The Indian man inside had stomach cancer, but his wife was sure that Mary could make him well. Mary could do nothing more than offer morphine for the man's pain. His wife's reaction had a long-term impact upon the doctor. She recalled, "I shall never forget the disappointment on her face, for her hopes had been high and her trust that something could be done was complete." Mary was never satisfied when her work could not produce a positive outcome.

During the depression of the 1920's-30's, cash was scarce for the farmers in the valley. Patients who could not afford to pay would trade animals or other farm products for Fulstone's services. The family also traded her fees for goods from the local merchants. Mary never refused treatment to anybody based upon their inability to pay. According to David's memory, she did not even begin formal billing until sometime during the 1950's.

Beginning about 1938, Mary began traveling three days a week to Yerington. She maintained her office hours in the morning in Smith Valley, and then made the twenty-five mile trip in the afternoon. Yerington had a shortage of doctors, and she soon had many new patients. She later established a permanent office on Main Street in one part of the home belonging to David and his wife, Angie. During the early 1950's, Mary began a crusade to get a new hospital built in Yerington. The old hospital was dilapidated and poorly equipped, and Mary disliked it intensely. In 1954, the voters passed the bond issue that would build a new hospital. One wing of the Lyon Health Center was later named the "Doctor Mary" in honor of the woman who had worked so hard to turn her dream into reality.


This photo was taken by my mom. Clara Barnett at the opening of the Dr. Mary Wing of the Lyon Health Center.


Fred and Mary Fulstone, Smith Valley Rancher and wife, doctor Mary Fulstone.


Book written about Dr. Mary by Dixie Westergard

Posted on Facebook Dec 22, 2014  

Some Comments
  • Sylvia Banta My favorite doctor of all time. She held my hand all night during the delivery of my son while we waited for the surgeons. My son was one of the last babies Dr. Mary delivered.

  • Tom Joyner She delivered all eight of the Joyner siblings. What a great lady!

  • Karen Dodd She was a great doctor, very compassionate, caring bedside manner and I dearly loved and trusted her! ! She delivered both my daughters, ages 45 and 46.

  • Jolene Rogers Hunt I thought for years that she was the meanest Doctor ever....when I was little I was helping feed the horses...unfortunately the pitch fork tongs lodged through the meat of my leg...after she removed the fork from my leg she had to give me a tetanus shot which hurt like heck....okay, I'm over it....RIP Dr. Mary...

  • Emily McKay Douglas The night I was born there was a power outage and the power came back on about 20 minutes before I was born. She remembered it and would talk to my dad about it. I am sure she remembered a lot about all the babies she delivered.

  • Liz Merrill Mason The night I was brought into the ER after the car accident with Jim Freeman they called Dr. Mary. My mom swore she had to have been doing 90 in the canyon to get there so quickly. Dr. Mary told my mom she was going to be her ER nurse because there were no nurses available. she kept yelling at my mom because she kept trying to pass out from the sight of all the blood. Dr. Mary had her pulling glass out of my face and the top of my head. She explained to my mom she was going to do plastic surgery on my face so there would be minimal scarring. I had hundreds of stitches and Dr Mary ordered that I not be allowed to have a mirror. I panicked. but she had done a beautiful job and the only scar I had was on my forehead running up through my hairline which was easily hidden with bangs. I had to spend months in bed because of my 3 broken vertebrae so she came to our house to see how I was doing and if I was keeping up with my school work. I really enjoyed those visits. She was awesome.

  • Timothy McGowan Chere Brown When naming Dr. Mary's birthplace, I presume you were referring to Eureka, Nevada?

  • Chere Brown Yes, Tim Dr. Mary was a true Nevadan. I think she went to high school in Carson City, where she met her husband, Fred, before he bought the ranch in Smith Valley. I think the only time she lived out of state was when she went to medical school in Berkeley, CA.

  • Mark Glass Ahhh, yes, Dr. (Sweetheart) Mary!! She delivered our first two children and took care of us until we moved to Fallon. She will always have that special spot in my heart.

  • Dawnette Kelley I must have been about 8 when I was really, really sick. I don't know for sure what it was but probably a bad bout of the flu.Dr. Mary came to our house in Weed Heights and gave me a shot. I remember that like it was yesterday:-)

  • Chere Brown Oh, the dreaded shot. The answer to everything in those days was penicillin. My mother sent me many times to Dr, Mary's office for a shot. I don't know what scared me most, the needle or having to drop my drawers and exposing my butt.

  • Chere Brown Dr. Mary & Fred were wonderful entertainers. We were invited many times to their ranch for Easter egg hunts, pheasant hunting, and Christmas parties. Us four children were awestruck and had so much fun. Of course we were forewarned before each event to be on our best behavior, so as not to embarrass our mother.

  • Peggy Freitas Purintun The amazing thing that just happened to me is that the second I saw this picture of Dr. Mary, I smelled alcohol. True story. It is amazing what the mind can conjure up.

  • Chere Brown When I was 8 years old, I spent two weeks in the Lyon Health Center with rheumatic fever. To this day when I see the light green color of the interior of the hospital (I always called it hospital green), I have flashbacks.

  • Jackie Chapman I think she was the doctor that delivered me.

  • Sylvia Banta Chere, one other memory Dr. Mary pierced my ears. Back then we went to the doctor to get our ears pierced. Kinda funny

  • Leota Joyner Johnson She was such a precious lady, delivered all eight of us Joyner kids and both of mine. No one like her!

  • Leota Joyner Johnson I can remember hiding under the bed on one of her house calls. She gave a mean shot of penicillin.

  • Chere Brown My mother, Clara Barnett, told me a story about her and Dr. Mary that surprised me. Before birth control, she told of a lady who had gotten pregnant through an affair. Apparently her husband was a very, very jealous & mean man, which everyone knew. She managed to hid the pregnancy because she was over weight, but knew she couldn't bring the baby home, because her husband would literally kill her. My mother assisted Dr. Mary with the birth and then they took it to the nuns at St. Mary's hospital in Reno. That was bad enough, but the woman got pregnant again under the same circumstance a few years later. Again, my mother & Dr. Mary delivered the child & took it to St. Mary's, but this time they threatened her that if it happened again they would not help her and she would be in the hands of her husband. It never happened again.

  • Mary Burns Wow , "Chair" quite a story ! I too was delivered by Dr Mary . she once made a house call to our home for bro JOe. He locked himself in the bathroom, and she was looking for a ladder to flush him out. JOe heard that , came running out ,into Dr Marys arms ... and her famous 'shot' I still recall Dr Mary boiling her needles on our stove and I have been in medicine since 1972 and the days of house calls are pertneer gone and the days of grabbing a ladder to get a kid from a bathroom probably never even existed , except in Yerington with Dr Mary.

  • Chere Brown I love that story about Joe. I remember my mother boiling needle on our stove to give all of us kids shots. It was a scary sight. I was so afraid of needles and would run and hid in the bathroom and cry for the other kids.

  • Gar Johnston So many stories can be told. She gave my brother a tetanus shot, after being taken to town from having a pitchfork stuck in his leg. I won't say how it got there to begin with... However, proper foot placement and a good yank removed it.

  • Peggy Freitas Purintun needles were a whole different story when we were growing up compared to the needles used now. There was a reason we were all scared.

  • Jolene Moyer She delivered my oldest son, he is 47. She was mad at Dr. Beam because he was going on vacation and was inducting labor on a lot of his ladies. He didn't think she would be at the hospital or find out. So I paid for it----- castor oil and any other natural remedy she could think of !

  • Chere Brown Very interesting, Jolene. Jackie was wondering if Dr. Mary had delivered her as well. Or was it Dr. Beam?

  • Jolene Moyer Jackie was delivered by Dr. Beam. Dr. Mary is listed in the book "Who’s Who in America" and what about her twin daughters being the Toni Twins for Toni home permanents ?

  • Chere Brown Those are great points, Jolene. One of the twins married a man who owned Heavenly Valley Ski Resort. In the winter of 1967, I worked for them and lived in Dr. Mary's cabin in Zephyr Cove, Lake Tahoe. Never been so cold in my life.

  • Karen Edge The Lyon County Museum has been compiling a list of 'Dr. Mary's Babies' -- all the babies she delivered over the years. Don't know what will be done with the list -- a plaque or just a publication? If you're a Dr. Mary baby you might want to get your name added.

  • Peggy Freitas Purintun I SO wanted to be a Dr. Mary baby, but just checked my birth certificate, and the attending physician was Dr. Tebbe

Mary Burns Dr Mary's granddaughter, DeeAnn FUlstone , class of 67, now lives in Dr Marys Zephyr Cove 'cabin' full time Dee Ann has fixed it up , but I hear she still has fire stove heat. and Dee Ann drives to Reno for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...