Thursday, January 7, 2016

Yerington Monday: The Onion Capital of the West

Yerington Monday: The Onion Capital of the West

Mason Valley has three large onion growers and has been dubbed by many as the "Onion Capital of the West". September and October is onion harvest in Mason Valley. As a teenager ,my brother, David, decided he could make some extra money by harvesting garlic. I am not sure which ranch he went too, but by 12 noon he was home vomiting his guts out. The heat and the smell of the garlic did him in.


Nevada Onion Harvest in Mason Valley, Lyon County, Nevada


Annual Onion Harvest


Sweetie Sweet is a variety of sweet onion grown in the Mason Valley in Yerington, Nevada. The Sweetie Sweet onion can be found in marketplaces throughout September through the end of January.


David Peri: Peri & Sons is one of the nation’s largest producers of onions. Some may find an interesting heritage of the Peri Family on their web site http://www.periandsons.com/



Eddie Snyder - Snyder Livestock Co. - Yerington, NV
Snyder Livestock Company, Inc.
165 Osborne Lane
Yerington, NV 89447

Posted on Facebook January 12, 2015

Comments
  • Peggy Freitas Purintun I used to love the smell of onions and garlic in the early morning, but I am sure it could be overwhelming if you were trying to harvest it. Great memories from Mason Valley


  • Mary Burns My lovely Momma taught Eddie Snyder in the second grade SHe just "loved all of her cute little second graders"

  • Liz Merrill Mason Remember the sweet fresh smell of alfalfa as you drove into town in the morning? I loved that smell and would roll the window down to inhale heaven. To this day when I smell alfalfa it instantly reminds me of Mason Valley. My mom used to dig up asparagus growing alongside the road, too. Thanks so much for the memories, Chere!

  • Mary Burns and sage brush after a summer rain I loved it, My husband, however thought it smelled like cat pee , what the hell would he know , he was from Jersey City, where the most pleasant aroma there is decaying rats !! eeeeeek!!

  • Chere Brown One smell I hated was the slaughter house in Mason, when the wind blew towards Yerington. Yuk.

  • Liz Merrill Mason Yep, I used to hold my breath whenever we drove by it. Thought I was going to die when our class went there on a field trip. Put me off beef for awhile

  • Mark Glass Kathleen and I had some visitors to Yerington/Mason Valley in 1972 from LA. The wife had been raised inside city all her life. As we drove past Peoples Packing she asked me "What are those funny brown mounds the cows are standing on?" I almost wrecked the car while trying to drive and laugh! I don't believe she ever quite forgave me. (But it was hilarious!!)

  • Mary Burns call me crazy (but not so as I can hear you heee) but I didnt mind the slaughterhouse distinct aroma... especially in the summer eves when the temp had cooled off, and all the neighborhood kids were outside running amuk (a controlled one by the way) it seems the aroma was more noticeable at dusk... during kick the can, hide and go seek, last nite midnite, ollie ollie oxen free.. street football fond times , fond memories. lv,mb

Chere Brown I guess the orders mingled with all the fun made them all part of the experience, but I use to sleep on our screened-in front porch on hot summer nights, and often the dung order floating past my nostrils was a suffocating and putrid nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...