Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Yerington Monday: Little Buildings of Yerington

Yerington Monday: Little Buildings of Yerington


The Little Buildings of Yerington Open Up Big Memories


The best gifts come in small packages, so they say.  In Yerington, some of the best memories I hold are around its small buildings.  For instance the old flower shop on the corner by the Lyon Market.  We use to live in a house where the Lyon Market was built.  As a child we would drag enormous boxes from the flower shop to our backyard to play in.  Three or four of us kids could fit inside.  They made good forts and we would tell each other scary stories in it’s darkness.  


Three other small buildings that I don’t have pictures of are Hornbuckles Pool Hall and the German Bakery Shop. Hornbuckles was like the Boy’s & girls club of our day, except girls could not play pool and for a time could not even go into the pool hall. The German Bakery shop had the best donuts and sweetest owners ever. The old jail house was on the corner of Main Street where John’s Cafe was built.  It was a stone building just big enough for about six prisoners.  We would often go by and talk with the prisoners through the barred windows.


I would be interested to hear your memories of these little buildings.




Old Man Bertrand's House


Behind the flower shop was ‘Old Man Bertrand's’ house.  He was quite elderly, but every day we could see him chopping wood in his backyard, which faced our backyard. He was probably one of only a few that used wood to heat & cook. This was ‘Old Man Bertrand's’ house when we were kids.




I was always intrigued by this little house as most homes in Yerington were either wood or stucco constructed.




Mr.Page’s Shack


When we moved from Main Street to West Street, we lived next door to ‘Old Mr. Page’. His little house is seen in the background of this picture of my niece, Heather.  We all had a love-hate relationship with Mr. Page.  He could be a good storyteller, but very cranky at times.  He once informed me that the reason he lived so long was because he ate alfalfa.
I do not know what he did to my brother David, but I came home from school one afternoon to find David hurling potatoes onto his roof. Somewhere David had gotten a hold of a 100 lb sack of rotten potatoes.  When I asked him why he was plummeting ‘Old Man Pages’ home, all I get out of him was he “pissed me off”




Junior's Gun Shop, Yerington, Lyon, Nevada, United States owned and operated by my Ed Gibbs!




Hillygus Station, Yerington, Nevada the oldest gas station in Yerington.  Every kin in Yerington had to have a red fireman’s hat popsicle at least once a week from Hillygus Station.




Church of the Nazarene West Street.  This was probably the smallest church in Yerington.  It’s pastor was a woman who use to drive me crazy because she always called me ‘Cherry”.




Weed Height’s Guard Shack.  Everyone would have to stop at this guard shack (although I know a few who would run through this checkpoint.




Sage Crest Drive-In Ticket Booth.  So many fond memories of this drive-in and of trying to sneak in via trunk or laying on floor of back seat.




Old miner’s cabin in Yerington.  Not the roof is made of cyanide can lids.



Adobe outside of Yerington, Nevada Does anyone know who this belonged to?  I have seen it on my way to Wabuska.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...