Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Yerington Monday: Yerington Municipal Airport

Yerington Monday: Yerington Municipal Airport

In 1982, I traveled to Yerington for the dedication of the Barnett Clinic to my mother, Clara Barnett. Following the dedication, I put my daughter in the solarium so she could watch TV, while I visited with my mother in her office at the hospital.  When I returned to get my daughter, she was seizing.  She had had a stroke.  The nurses gave her the best of care, but because her condition was so complicated, UCSF sent an air ambulance from San Francisco to Yerington’s little airport to transfer her back to UCSF, where they were familiar with her medical complications.

I was hoping to go with her, but because of the weight of the equipment and medical staff, I was not allowed.  I remember standing on the runway as the plane took off.  Instead of just jetting off, the airplane was circling.  I was fearful that something had gone seriously wrong, but my mother assured me that because they had to get over the Sierra’s they had to gain more altitude in order to clear the summit.  After the air ambulance finally veered towards the mountains, my mother drove me to Reno to catch a commercial flight to San Francisco.  This was my daughter’s third stroke in three years, but as always she was my “Comeback Queen” and survived.

I have always been grateful that Yerington had a “little” airport.  It was a lifesaver for my daughter.


Yerington Municipal Airport is a city owned, public use airport located one nautical mile north of the central business district of Yerington, in Lyon County, Nevada, United States.
Address: 40 Airport Way, Yerington, NV 89447
Elevation: 4,378' (1,334 m)
8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Phone: (775) 463-3511

Yerington Municipal Runway

Yerington Municipal Airport has one runway:
  • 5,800 X 75 ft
The runway and taxiway are well-maintained and in good condition. The runway has pilot-controlled lighting and AWOS capability.

Airport Fuel Prices
$4.98 per gallon (as of July 14, 2015) -100ll aviation fuel price at the Yerington Municipal Airport (O43).


New Hangar Cafe

Courtesy: Summit Air Ambulance
Summit Air Ambulance began operating from its new base in Reno, Nevada, on Monday, March 4, 2013.  From Reno, Summit will serve hospitals and patients throughout western Nevada, eastern California and portions of southern Oregon.  The aircraft will be housed at the Reno Tahoe International Airport.
Hospitals and patients in Summit's service area will have access to Summit's Pilatus PC-12 aircraft.  These modern fixed-wing airplanes can cruise at speeds approaching 300 miles per hour, are equipped with superior safety systems and will offer another means of providing emergency care and transport for patients in this region.   The PC-12's spacious interior and large cargo door facilitate patient care and patient loading/unloading.  They are configured for dual-patient transportation, thereby expediting service in multi-patient situations.


Hangar

10,000 Square Foot hangar building located on the main taxiway at the Yerington Airport. Built in 2001, the current operation is Aircraft Painting. Other approved aviation activities/fixed base operations include: Aircraft Maintenance, Repair, Restoration & Overhauling, Aircraft Engine & Equipment, etc. 44 years remaining on excellent lease with expansion options available.


One of the planes at the Yerington Airport


One of the planes at the Yerington Airport


One of the planes at the Yerington Airport..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...